Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today's the Day



I usually have this strange neurosis about knowing why the flag is half-mast.  It always seems to happen inexplicably, and I can never figure it out.  No one else seems to know either, and it's usually never in the news.

Today was different.  I went to the gym this morning and all the flags were down, and I wondered for a second, but then quickly remembered.  Today's the day.  Seven years ago, our country changed, and, in a way, so did the world.

Think about it.  9/11 probably effected most of the people on the planet, in terms of its represcussions.  The United States and others went to war, oil prices are affected by that, and oil prices affect food prices, which effects everyone.

It's been seven years.  Can you believe it?  Seven years...that is a long time.  How can it have been that long ago?  You know, I think a lot about how we are living in historic times, and in just a few more years, I'll be able to explain to my own children what it was like to live that moment where I heard about the twin towers.  Everyone from my parents' generation remembers everything about the moment they heard that President Kennedy was shot.  I think 9/11 is that for our generation.

No comments: