Friday, November 07, 2008

Recap

When I've missed a few days of blogging, I always feel compelled to write some sappy title and apologize profusely for missing the days.

And then I always feel really, really cheesy and shallow.  Why?  I'm not sure.  Maybe because it's really okay if I don't blog every day.  Maybe because I write the apology out of a false-sense of duty rather than really trying to say something I want to say.  It just never feels true.  I do enjoy it when I blog every day, don't get me wrong.  I just always feel fake when I apologize for not doing it.

Moving on.

The elections.  They happened.  Proverbs 21:1 "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will."  That's all.  

California.  I had a marvelous time.  I didn't really do anything California-y, except eat In-n-Out.  Exampled here:


It was a very different experience from DC.  I feel like I hardly engaged in the actual day of prayer, because most of my work was outside the field, where I could hear the noise, and I interacted with a lot of people, but I didn't really know what was happening on the stage.  Working the volunteer check-in with Christina and Bethany kept me busy...thought about half-way through the day we thought we were about to go crazy.  Eventually, the booth was shut down (once there wouldn't really be any more volunteers checking in) and we hung out backstage for the rest of the night.  Highlights for me:


This is Congressman Trent Franks.  I know, because I have his business card.  Yes, his business card.  It says: Trent Franks.  Member of Congress.  United States of America.  It has the seal on it.

He walked up to our volunteer check-in table and asked me "So, how does someone find the stage around here?"

I had no idea who this man was, other than that he was wearing a suit and looked important because he had a pin with the seal on it.  I asked, "So, you need to get backstage?"  He said yes, and after fumbling to explain how to get there, I reverted to: "Would you like me to show you?"  So, we start walking, and I introduce myself.  "Hi, I'm Annie."  He responds with "Nice to meet you, Annie.  I'm Congressman [and everything was fuzzy after that]."  And then, no joke, I said "OH!" and he said "Yeah!".  And then there was awkward silence.

He was really, really kind and humble.  I wanted to treat him special and open the door for him, but he wanted to open the door for me.  He told me about his newborn twins, and how excited he was for "the first babies of his life".   As we walked, I went through in my mind how to introduce him and find the right person to get him backstage...only, I had missed his name!  What was I supposed to say??  So, I had to ask him: "Sorry, Congressman....?"  And that's when he pulled out the business card and re-introduced himself.  

When I saw him on stage holding one of the Bohlender babies, I was so excited.  He prayed for Mercy, and for mercy for our nation, and I decided it was one of my favorite moments of the day.  That is, other than when I myself held Anna.  That was my personal highlight.  

The day after TheCall, the extended Call family went to a party at a wonderful house, and we had fun and hung out, and kinda debriefed altogether about how incredible the day was.  I was cuddling one of the girls, and Jesse stopped to say hi to the baby and then told me that he had heard that the Congressman was actually holding Anna, not Mercy, on stage.  In the hand off, I guess they were confused, and it will forever go down in history that the wrong twin was called.  Oh, twins.  

Then, I had the best plane ride of my life.  I held Mercy B. the entire way, and then fed her at the end and carried her through the airport.  Sweetness.

Now, onto the college situation.  Don't even ask.  I have so much to do for applications, but I am so tired of thinking about it.  It is now officially the Lord's job to think about it, and I'll just listen to hear what He has to say.  How does that sound for a plan?  =)

Lastly, I'll leave you with the song of the week.  I don't think it's on a cd yet, but it's a song sung over San Francisco.  Amen, and amen.

No comments: