Thursday, August 21, 2008

Observings


I peered down into the case, studying the old scroll of the book of Esther, written in Hebrew to be read at Purim, the story of how God saved the Jewish people from destruction in Bible times. I looked up to smile at the little Orthodox Jewish girl standing across from me, also looking at the scroll as well. She smiled back at me with dancing eyes, turned away to join her family, and tears began rolling down my cheeks.

The most poignant part of the Holocaust museum was the fact that I walked through it along with Jewish families, going through the story of terrible discrimination and terror directed against the generations before them. The utter wickedness of the Holocaust is mind-blowing and incredibly relevant to the reason I was in DC in the first place. The bloodshed of the innocent, whether the Jewish nation or the unborn, is not forgotten by the heart of God, and as I walked through the museum I kept thinking of the verse
"And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones?" (Luke 18:7)

No comments: