Saturday, March 17, 2007

Chicago

When I would come back to Chicago from Tacoma, I missed seeing Mt. Ranier every time you drive somewhere. But then, I got to realizing that my city's ever-time-you-drive-somewhere sights are pretty cool. Some of them aren't that great, of course, but every Saturday, when I drive downtown to music school, I get to see this:
and, it's pretty cool. I love downtown. Chicago is one of the coolest cities in the world. Did you know that we are trying to get the 2016 Olympics? Merchandise Mart is supposedly the sixth largest building (square footage) in the world. The Sears tower used to be the tallest building in the world.




Chicago is so interesting. If you live here, you need to get at least some city smarts. Now, I don't have very much compared to other people, but I know a little bit. In California, cars must stop no matter what if a pedestrian has their foot off of the curb. No way; not in Chicago. I shouldn't go out alone after dark. I definitely shouldn't be out on the South Side at night. A lot of the homeless are drug addicts, and you can't just hand them money. I know these things aren't just true about Chicago, but some people who aren't from big cities don't know them.



The second thing is that today was St. Patricks Day, and for Chicago that's kind of big because there are a lot of Irish in Chicago. On St. Patrick's Day, they dye the Chicago River green. I tried to get good pictures of it: they're not the best, but...

Chicago is so diverse. I've heard that Chicago has a larger Polish population than any other city in the world besides Warsaw. In Chicago, there is always a different restaurant to go to and always a different kind of restaurant: Ethiopian, Thai, Japanese, Persian. We have little India, little Korea, Chinatown, Greektown, Andersonville, Ukranian Village.

Anyway, I like Chicago. I think everybody should visit. Foshizzle. hehe :)

No comments: