Sunday, February 22, 2009

If I wrote a letter to Princeton...

It would go something like this.

Dear Princeton,

If I attend your school, I'm bringing the power and spirit of Elijah with me.

Amen. Er, I mean...Thank you,

Annie

Because really? That's what it would take. And that's who I am. I mean, I'm not Elijah, but that's what I'm called to.

Today I had my interview with a Princeton alum, and it was much more involved than the Harvard one. Harvard's was at Starbucks...Princeton's was in a conference room on the top floor of a fancy office building, and all the hosts ran around wearing [totally dorky] Princeton sweatshirts (which I thought about refusing to wear if I attend, but then realized that that was indeed a silly promise to make). Starbucks--downtown KC...I want to go to Harvard.

Anyways.

The interview itself was just about as laid back, except it was much! longer and we got a lot deeper. He just asked question after question (not in a grilling sort of way, just a looking for as much info as possible sort of way). He asked about music school, and he asked about what I liked to study, then he asked about what ELSE I liked to study, and he may have even asked a third time, which led me to talk about science which is pretty much at the bottom of the list Things I Like to Study.

Then he asked what the Harvard lady didn't ask. He asked what TheCall did.

Me: "We pray. [pause] We pray and we set up large events to get lots of other people together to, um, pray! We pray for our nation."

Him: "So, specific issues, or just general?"

Me: {Alright, I'm just gonna have to be brutally honest} "for abortion, and we've been doing a lot of stuff in California, so, homosexual marriage."

Him: "So, a political activism fused with...religion?"

Me: "No, we're not political activists. We just believe that God has a hand over politics and the government, and we ask Him to influence our nation to make choices that honor Him."

He was really impressed with how many people we got on the mall, and I told him how I had gotten to be on a real football field in San Diego!

He asked what I saw myself doing in twenty years. I answered: "Well...not having a big career. [stare at the wall] Actually, raising children. And I have a passion for adoption, so..."

And the other contestant for most fiery answer of the interview: He asked what I'd been reading recently. My mind went blank about anything except the Bible, so I smiled awkwardly for a minute and then went with it: "Well, um...the Bible! Yup, mostly the Bible!" Then I remembered: "Oh! and a few months ago I read this book called Pegasus Bridge", then went on to explain that to him.

As we talk, it becomes apparent that this man majored in religion at Princeton. Read that again. He majored in religion at Princeton. Not exactly where I'd expect to find trustworthy doctrine. Turns out he had to study the early Christian church for his senior thesis, which led me to ask: "If you don't mind me asking...what did you and your professors do when you got to the part about the angel letting Peter out of prison?"

He said they interpreted it allegorically. The last half of our conversation was about religion, and the world's views on it. In response to his explanation of the conclusions about all the different cultures just trying to express the same experience, thus resulting in different religions, I pointed out that there's a spiritual realm. I tried to explain that yes, the Navajos were having an experience that they were trying to explain, but that experience was with darkness (a demon).

At another point, I got to just blurt out (after him talking about religion being something some people are more interested in than others and "that's okay"): "Until you MEET Jesus! and you realize, He's a person! And oh-my-goodness this is REAL! And, this is life or death!"

I got to say (referring back the Peter getting let out of prison thing) that there was a Chinese pastor, Brother Yun, who had actually had that happen to him (getting let out of prison by an angel). I also told him that I know people who have seen angels, and I know people who have heard the audible voice of God.

Another issue we hit on was social justice...how IHOP is starting a school to basically learn how to do social justice in conjunction with the Gospel, and realizing that if you feed people but don't give them Jesus -- you're not really helping them.

I think it went well. He was friendly, and that feeling I had walking in? That one that said I'm a witness of the Gospel of Christ in that room more than I'm an applicant to Princeton? I think it was right on. Pray for this man! Pray that he meet Jesus in a real, tangible way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Squirmy Interviews With Professors of Religion Club!
haha
But really. It's nice to know someone else is saying those things too :)

April Reynolds said...

I love your blog!!! You just made it into my blog role!! whoot!