Sunday, February 18, 2007

Around but Significant

And...I'm still sitting around trying to get rid of this sickness. I thought maybe I should name it something that expressed its position of enemy or something, but, nothing very creative came to mind. Maybe...um...I don't know. Can I take suggestions? One of those, I-can't-believe-anyone-would-name-their-kid-that names. The danger with those is that someone might actually know someone who had that name, or their great-grandpa had that name, because lots of the names we can't believe now were popular a few generations ago. Like Jemimah. My mom almost named my sister Jemimah I think, but now...I can't believe that name.

So I've been watching the show of the people who did good at the US Ice Skating Nationals, and, it made me wish that I had something that I did really well. Something where I could get the top. Win the gold medal or win the competition, get into Harvard, something. But the truth is, that I don't have to do any of those things to be significant. None of that is what's necessary. There's this lie that I think attacks tons of people, saying that significance comes with something you do. That Importance comes when you do something that society says is "important." But that's not what Jesus says! So why do we believe it? I do want to rest and know that Jesus is my worth, my significance. He loves me as much now as He would if I ice-skated to the gold medal, practiced for 20 hours a day and won the piano competition, if I went to Harvard, if I was perfect. He couldn't love me more than He does now. I want to do something to make someone proud of me. Well, Jesus has already given me that. Every word He speaks to me affirms that His love for me is not performance-based. I fall down sometimes. I fall down and have a hard time believing that I don't have to do anything to be loved. But He can help me believe it. He can help me believe Him.

By the way, happy Chinese New Year!

No comments: