Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Little Flock

Luke 12:32 -- "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

Funny, I don't recall ever thinking about this verse before this morning. I was sitting in the fourth row of the prayer room (I know, I know...I was going to be adventurous and sit in the second row. Hey, there was somebody sitting in that seat.) and Pamela prayed it on the microphone.

I had just been sitting there wrestling with my shortcomings. Paul calls us to be wise in Ephesians 5, yet I feel like it's so easy to choose the unwise. "Try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord"...oh, man, I fall short.

But this verse...it kind of brings a lot of clarity. You can flail and swim and flail and swim (or, as my nephew asked yesterday: "What do you do if you fall while you're surfing, but you don't know how to swim?"), but when somebody hands you a life jacket, your flailing can stop.

I don't have a lot of revelation on this verse other than to say. I'm imperfect. I'm so imperfect. I fall short of what I know the Lord calls us to; while my mind knows that there is grace and forgiveness and no condemnation, I struggle to accept those things
. You know that sigh of relief your heart breathes when you read Paul write "Oh wretched man that I am! I do the things I don't want to do..."? Well, dear flawed person who messes up...listen to what Jesus says EVEN THOUGH you mess up:

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

No comments: